It occurred to me about 4 months ago, that I did not know how to make a pie crust from scratch. Now, I have made pies before but had always used the Pillsbury premade crust. I got to thinking that in almost 13 years of marriage, every time we have pie either my mother or mother-in-law are around to make it, so I never learned to do the crust. So before all the holidays I decided I wanted to learn to make the crust from scratch. It dawned on me that if I didn't learn, then I couldn't teach my children, so the art of pie crust making would be lost forever because of me. Then in, oh say 30-40 years, when the grandmas are no longer alive, who will make the pies for the holidays? So I was taught how by my mother in law, and have tried to practice once or twice a month. Pie crust making takes years to perfect. My crust turns out very yummy but I know it will only get better with time. So here's to you Audrey, for teaching me so the tradition will never die!
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Traditions
It occurred to me about 4 months ago, that I did not know how to make a pie crust from scratch. Now, I have made pies before but had always used the Pillsbury premade crust. I got to thinking that in almost 13 years of marriage, every time we have pie either my mother or mother-in-law are around to make it, so I never learned to do the crust. So before all the holidays I decided I wanted to learn to make the crust from scratch. It dawned on me that if I didn't learn, then I couldn't teach my children, so the art of pie crust making would be lost forever because of me. Then in, oh say 30-40 years, when the grandmas are no longer alive, who will make the pies for the holidays? So I was taught how by my mother in law, and have tried to practice once or twice a month. Pie crust making takes years to perfect. My crust turns out very yummy but I know it will only get better with time. So here's to you Audrey, for teaching me so the tradition will never die!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
yeah, there's lots of things that mother-in-law could teach us that we don't know how to do huh?!! i wish i could sew like she could! i don't like pies because i don't like the crust!! so if i do make pies, i only like them with the cookie or graham crust. pathetic i know..
That looks sooo yummy! Pies are so much better when ever part of them is home-made!
Is the recipe a family secret or can you share?
MMmmmmm... I better not let Andy see this or he is going to ship me out there for some lessons. Maybe next time we come out for the Holidays, we will have to all cook the pies together - so we can all perfect our talents:). I have made homemade crust before, but I'm not sure Andy likes it even half as much as he likes his moms
Good job Carri! That's impressive! I'm sure it tastes yummy it certainly looks yummy! I always think about making a pie but never do. You're my inspiration. :)
Post a Comment